[MEncoder-users] Cannot encode to mepg2

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Fri Mar 25 22:46:02 CET 2005

Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Stefan Frings wrote:
>
> >I often use transcode in the past bt it does not work with the mpeg stream
> >from DVB-T cards. Transcodes crashes when I try to read my source files.
> >I had the same problem in all encoders, demultiplexers and editor program
> >that I tried. Only mencoder and mplayer seem to be able to read this file.
> >

> I really don't see any reason to use transcode: 0 docs (only magic
> recipes), extremely slow when used with mjpegtools,
> nothing that mencoder can't do now.

It is a good deal faster when using ffmpeg, which
is what most people use for mpeg2.

The reason to use it is that if do need to resize,
it generally calculates the resizing parameters
automatically. I often want to create dvd's from
inputs of varying resolution and aspect ratio, and
transcode profiles do the hard part automagically.

Note that those of us coding for NTSC dvd's to be viewed
on analog sets in the united states have special problems
due to overscan and strange masking geometries that make
resizing a really difficult process without the magic
that the transcode profiles offer.

I also recommend mencoder to people on the transcode
list. Particularly for dvd ripping. Please do not
consider me a partisan. Resizing has worked well for
me in both transcode and mencoder.

--
Phil Ehrens <phil at slug.org>      | Fun stuff:
The SilverLake Linux Users Group | http://www.ralphmag.org