[MEncoder-users] Niewbe question about using w32codecs and mencoder

Yuri G. Shchedov ys-pub at prism.com.ua
Thu Jun 30 21:59:19 CEST 2005

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:54:28 +0400
Oleynik Phil <Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru> wrote:

> Yuri Shchedov wrote:
>
> >Hello guys,
> >
> >I'm very new in video and mencoder.
> >
> >Can I use codecs from w32codecs in mencoder ?
> >How to install correctly w32codecs to be able to encode video using
> >these codecs ?
> >
> >I installed w32codecs on debian (Marillat package) but it seems to me
> >mencoder cannot read them.
> >
> >I tried "mencoder -vc help" command, but it doesn't show anything.
> >mencoder -ovc help shows only standard codecs (there are no third-part
> >codecs installed with w32codecs)
> >
> >"mplayer -vc help" shows me lots of misc codecs.
> >
> >Sorry for the begginer's question.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Yuri
> >
> You cannot use w32 codecs for encoding. This is probably you were trying
> to do.
>
> Philipp

It's a pity.

Can I rise another question ?

I tried to do some DV output from static images and have found that libdv
gives me unreasonable results. Especially with red color.
I have ugly artefacts on edges of my pictures.

What I'm doing wrong when I make DV files from PNG or jpg files with mencoder ?
Originals are pretty good, as they pre-resized to needed resolution (PAL:720x576)
by gimp (cubic) and saved with lossless algorithms.

Thank you,
Yuri