[MEncoder-users] real-time encoding of DVB-S @ 900 MHz

Moritz Beller moritzbeller at gmx.de
Sun Jun 26 11:34:32 CEST 2005

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:27:55 +0100
Chris Howells <chris+mencoder-users at chrishowells.co.uk> wrote:

> I imagine it just records the raw MPEG stream. What makes you think it
> does  anything different?

The quality, actually.

Let's have a look at what they state on their website
(http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1):

> A PIII/733MHz system can encode one video stream using the MPEG-4
> codec using 480x480 capture resolution. This does not allow for live
> TV watching, but does allow for encoding video and then watching it
> later.

See also:

> A PIII/800MHz system with 512MB RAM can encode one video stream
> using the RTjpeg codec with 480x480 capture resolution and play it
> back simultaneously, thereby allowing live TV watching.

I think it's the 480x480 capture resolution that's making the whole
difference. I have no clue, though, how to tell mencoder to use 480x480.

Moritz
--
(o_    web	http://www.4momo.de
//\    mail 	momo at 4momo dot de