[MEncoder-users] Mencoder vs. hardware based devices...

Brian Keener keenerb at roleplayga.org
Wed Jun 22 04:17:54 CEST 2005

I've achieved fairly consistent and good quality with Mencoder, at this
point.  My disk space restricts me to capturing at 352x480 or 352x240
(depending on length).

I was looking at new hard drives at my local store, and I saw some
inexpensive PVR devices (PVR-250 and PVR-150 from Hauppauge), and the
thought crossed my mind that they might be adequate for my purposes.

Can mencoder give significantly better quality than one of these
stand-alone devices?

I'm not looking for perfection; I'm only interested in encoding some
children's VHS movies, old family videos, etc.

Brian K