[MEncoder-users] Mencoder finishes early on DVD to Divx encoding

Pete Davis pete at petedavis.net
Wed Jun 22 04:01:38 CEST 2005

>> A dozen or two of these, with just a short paragraph describing what the
>> script does, could demonstrate a pretty wide range of things that can be
>> done and provide a good source for people to cut and paste their own.
>
> Except that I wouldn't call them scripts. Examples, yes, but not scripts.
> calling them scripts suggests they actually do something, while with video
> encoding, it all depends on the source and what you want to achieve. There
> is no single way to "turn a DVD movie into an AVI" or "to turn a DVD TV
> Show into multiple AVIs". Each case is unique and you have to know what
> you're doing if you are to do it right.
>
> R.

Well, yes and no. For example, if you want to create a Divx of a TV series
from DVD, it's pretty easy to come up with a single script that you can
re-use for each chapter and each disc. And if your paragraph explanation
describes the options and what the different flags represent, the user can
then decide if maybe they want to change some of those options. They might
look at another example and pick pieces from it and combine the two into
what they need.

Of course there's no single way to do it. Hell, there are a tons of options.
But show some of the common scenarios. Show encoding a progressive DVD. Then
show an interlaced. Show what options are different between the two. Show
encoding to Divx. Then show encoding to XVid.

Having whole examples, I think, is easier than digging through the docs and
piecing together, oh, I need this flag, and this parameter, and I need that
parameter. It's all scattered all over the docs. That's fine as a reference,
but back it up with whole examples (and a lot of them) that show the process
and describe what each example does. This example takes an existing AVI and
re-codes the sound in MP3, or this example converts a DVD chapter into a
512x288 Divx with AC3 sound. Things like that.

I'm not on a crusade or anything. You guys can do what you want. I simply
think from a new user's point of view, it would be very helpful.

Doing it in a Wiki is fine too. That actually has the advantage that people
will probably be good about updating when parameters or functionality
changes.

Pete