[MEncoder-users] Mencoder finishes early on DVD to Divx encoding

Pete Davis pete at petedavis.net
Tue Jun 21 23:22:06 CEST 2005

I agree with you regarding following the list. The problem that arises there
is that in that case, the same information tends to get repeated over and
over again as new people come to the list.

And I can certainly understand the issue of resources to write the
documentation. A project this size I'm sure could always use more resources.

One thing that might be a good idea and wouldn't be terribly time intensive,
would be to put together a collection of scripts on the web site that
perform various functions and act as examples. Instead of the authors having
to do the work themselves, people on this list could simply contribute
whatever scripts they've written. Someone could go through, decide which
ones are good examples, maybe make minor edits to fix up ones that are
almost good enough, and then make them available either on the web site or
in the documentation, or both.

I think what's largely lacking in the documentation and what really helps
people like me, who are new to mencoder out, is to see samples. Examples:

A script to turn a DVD movie into an AVI
A script to turn a DVD TV Show into multiple AVIs
A script to convert an existing AVI to a specific audio and video codec.
A script to re-encode just audio
A script to re-encode just video

Etc...

A dozen or two of these, with just a short paragraph describing what the
script does, could demonstrate a pretty wide range of things that can be
done and provide a good source for people to cut and paste their own.

Otherwise, people like me end up googling and finding out of date samples.

Anyway, just an idea. But again, the developers on the project could take
advantage of the people on this list as a source and save themselves some
work.

Pete