[MEncoder-users] Best possible quality from a DVD

Jan Paul Schmidt jps at fundament.org
Sat Jun 18 15:05:04 CEST 2005

Am 18.06.2005 um 14:24 schrieb Federico 'Pain' Pistono:

> Is it possible to copy raw the dvd into an uncompressed mpeg2 using
> mencoder?

I suppose you mean to dump the MPEG data of the DVD to harddisk. There
is no such thing as uncompressed mpeg2.

>  I tried
>  mencoder dvd://1 -chapter 3-3 -of mpeg -oac copy -ovc copy -o
> tvout.mpg
>  That i get a lot of seeking errors, a good video quality but the
> audio disappears after a few minutes.

If you want to dump the DVD, use mplayer:

	mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile tvout.mpg -chapter 3-3 dvd://1

>  Then I tried this:
>  mencoder dvd://1 -chapter 3-3 -of mpeg -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=huffyuv:vbitrate=8000:keyint=25 -vf
> hqdn3d,pullup,pp=md,scale=720:480 -noskip -o tvout.mpg
> but my mplayer cannot open the video codec.

Without the output of this command, nobody can tell you what's going
wrong.

>  I use this version:
>  € mplayer -v
>  MPlayer 1.0pre7-3.3.5 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
>  CPU: PowerPC
>
>  the cvs gives me compiling problems.

Same as above.

>  If try to do this crazy thing:
>  mencoder dvd://1 -chapter 3-3 -of mpeg -oac copy -ovc copy -o out.mpeg
>
>  does work perfectly, but i guess it's encrypted, so useless at the
> end. Mplayer opens the file, but it doesn't seek it.

I doubt that it is still encrypted.

>  So, what can I do?
>
>  I need to do video editing with final cut, do you suggest me to use
> something like this:
>  mencoder dvd://1 -chapter 3-3 -ovc lavc -oac copy -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=7500:vqmin=1:lmin=1:v4mv:mbd=2:trell:subcmp=2:
> cmp=2:precmp=2:mv0:autoaspect:vpass=1:mpeg_quant:psnr:vqcomp=0.7:
> vqblur=0.3 -o out.avi
>
>  in a two pass encoding, and use a high quality mpeg4, or find a way
> to use an uncompressed mpeg2?

No. I suggest to dump the DVD. But as Final Cut uses Quicktime you will
run into the problem, that Quicktime will only recognize the video
track of the dumped MPEG data. So the best way would probably be:

	mplayer -dumpvideo -dumpfile tvout.mpg -chapter 3-3 dvd://1
	mplayer -vc dummy -vo null -ao pcm:file=tvout.wav -chapter 3-3 dvd://1

This will create a file with the video data and a file with the audio
data converted to a stereo WAV.

If you have AC3 on the DVD and want to keep it, use

	mplayer -dumpaudio -dumpfile tvout.ac3 -chapter 3-3 dvd://1

and try to import this manually into Final Cut.

jps