[MEncoder-users] Video bitrate 104857 kbps, video GOP is too long.

Brian Keener keenerb at roleplayga.org
Wed Jun 15 18:47:17 CEST 2005

Nico Sabbi wrote:

> Brian Keener wrote:
>
>> That's what TMPGenc DVD Author reports when I try to add the file to
>> a new project.
>>
>> mencoder tv.avi -fps 30000/1001 -ofps 30000/1001 -of mpeg -oac lavc
>> -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=7000:keyint=15 -vf
>> harddup,hqdn3d,pp=md,scale=720:480 -mc 0 -o tvout.mpg
>

> it's the opposite: it's too short for NTSC, that requires 18 frames
> for GOP.
> Those messages are harmless, but you can still override the video bitrate
> setting -mpegopts format=dvd:vbitrate=7000.
> BTW harddup should be the last filter afaik, and adding :mbd=2 to
> -lavcopts will
> produce a better looking encode.

The mpegopts parameter you suggested eliminated the warning from tmpgenc
dvd author; thanks for the hint.

There are also ffmpeg options for format= and vbitrate=, and since I'm
using the libavcodec from ffmpeg, I'm confused as to whether those
paramaters are being passed to libavcodec, or are processed internally
by mencoder.  What would happen if I had vbitrate=7000 in my -lavcopts,
and vbitrate=4000 in my -mpegopts parameter?

Brian K