[MEncoder-users] MPEG muxer (was ERROR: SCR: warning; what does that mean?)

Jan Paul Schmidt jps at fundament.org
Mon Jun 13 11:13:45 CEST 2005

Am 13.06.2005 um 08:39 schrieb Nico Sabbi:

>>> there's no padding problem with vcdimager whe you use the current
>>> muxer,
>>> although there was with the previous muxer
>>

>> Maybe you can give an example of how to use the current muxer without
>> having vcdimager to use autopadding and inserting loads of extra
>> bytes?
>

> -of mpeg -mpegopts format=xvcd

Autsch. I think I have to trim my current mpegopts :o( Sorry for the
fuss, no more padding problems.

Hope you don't mind, that I'm still curious about the muxer :o) After
looking at the source, I got some more questions:

Do you have any reason to use maxrate=174250 instead of 176400, which
for example transcode uses for VCD and I read somewhere on the net?

Another thing I saw was, that the video buffer size in the muxer for
VCD is 46KB - like Mplex -, which is close to vrc_buf_size=376, but the
mplayer manual recommends vrc_size_buf=327. This could mean loosing
some quality during encoding if the later is used and a bigger buffer
is assumed anyway. Or did I get something wrong?

>> By the way: I found that there is a non-documented (in terms of man
>> page) option skip_padding to create MPEGs with variable packet size.
>> Is this one save to use?
>>
>> jps
>

> not for any of xvcd/xsvcd/dvd.

Obviously :o)

>  It will be removed soon because it's no more needed

Why? There are other muxer which support this, for example

	http://www.lilapple.com/mpspsm.html

The question was more in the direction, if this feature works with
other players than mplayer.

jps