[MEncoder-users] DVD >> MKV with mencoder script.

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Thu Jun 2 16:54:33 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 12:51:18 +0200
"Federico 'Pain' Pistono" <fppain at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know that the vorbis is not yet supported since it's not stable,

Vorbis itself is pretty stable, I've been using it for years. I don't
know why mencoder doesn't use it yet.

> but I saw lots of good results from other rips, hence I wanted to
> give it a try. I made the script, but I guess something's not quite
> right yet, could you give me some suggestions?

You don't say what's wrong but I'd guess audio desync and maybe poor
video quality?

> opt=vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=$3:vqmin=1:lmin=1:v4mv:mbd=2:trell:subcmp
> =2:cmp=2:precmp=2:mv0:autoaspect:vpass=1:mpeg_quant:psnr:vqcomp=
> 0.7:vqblur=0.3

vqmin=1 the manual says: "Not  recommended  (much larger file, little
quality difference and weird side effects"
I don't know what effect mpeg_quant will have but I imagine there's a
reason why it's not the default.

You should crop any black bars off and make sure the dimensions of
resulting image are divisible by 16.
It might help to denoise too.

I suggest you do some experiments with a short section of your DVD to
determine the best options. I use these:
vcodec=mpeg4:psnr:mv0:cbp:trell:mbd=2:keyint=125:naq:v4mv:vlelim=-4:
vcelim=7:lumi_mask=0.05:dark_mask=0.01:tcplx_mask=0.01:
scplx_mask=0.01:vratetol=32000:aspect=$ASPECT:vbitrate=$BITRATE

> mencoder -dvd-device $1 dvd://$2 -aid 128 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=2:$opt -nosound -o output.avi

Using -nosound may cause desync. You should use -oac copy then mux
like so:
 mkvmerge -o $4.mkv -A output.avi audio.ogg

You probably want to specify --aspect-ratio here too.

With 5.1 channel soundtracks I found it was better to copy the ac3
rather than try to convert to vorbis as the vorbis ended up larger
and the channel order was not reliable. Maybe someone else has had
more success with this than me.

Martin