[MEncoder-users] mplayer becomes unkillable process on FC3

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Jul 26 07:18:47 CEST 2005

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:21:04 -0400
Tom Friedel - Ready Ink Incorporated <tom at readyink.com> wrote:

> A few weeks ago I downloaded the latest RPM for Fedora Core 3, and
> sometimes, maybe 1 out of 5, it hangs after saying Playing dvd://1.
> The problem is I can not kill the process, even with -9.  I will be
> glad to answer any questions or run any tests,

First off, why did you send this to Mencoder-Users?

If mplayer is unkillable, either you're running it as root (don't do
that), or it's a problem with the OS.  With CD/DVD-ROMs in particular,
when they hit a bad sector or have some other problem, you just need to
kill mplayer once, then wait a minute or two for the drive to time-out
(mplayer will then recieve the kill signal, and exit immediately).