[MEncoder-users] DVD to VCD Convertion

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Jul 23 05:16:10 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 09:02:06PM -0600, Ron Wills wrote:
>  Definitely makes sense... As for my laptop, it has only been able to
> handle the VCD's.

If it handles VCD, it should also be able to handle unconstrained
mpeg1 at VCD resolution, and probably mpeg2 and mpeg4 at VCD
resolution as well.

> Old Toshiba with a bugging video card (trying to use
> any accel in Linux locks the monitor, grrrr, only works with vesa). So
> any kind of quality, on that machine, and no hw accel, it's like
> watching a slide show rather than a movie :P.

Try using vidix. It should work.

>  Just out of curiosity, if I encode it to mpeg4, the video would only
> be able to played on a computer? As I understand it DVD players only
> play up to mpeg2 video with ac3 audio (not sure about other audio
> encodings). This is what I seem to recall from my DVD specs.

This is roughly correct, but there's a lot more to it than that. DVD
players won't play any mpeg2, just mpeg2 specially formatted to the
DVD specs. On the other hand, some DVD players will also play files
off an ordinary filesystem on a DVD, and support mpeg4-in-avi and
other combinations..

>  I know this may seem like an absolute waste of time, but what better
> way to learn than by getting your feel wet ;)

:)

Rich