[MEncoder-users] DVD to VCD Convertion

Ron Wills ron at rwsoft.ca
Sat Jul 23 02:37:14 CEST 2005

Hello All

  I've got a quick question. I'm converting a couple of DVD's to VCD for
my laptop, which I have been successful doing. I've been able to reduce
the bitrate for the audio to improve the video quality, but I can't seem
to get the stereo channels reduced to mono. I've tried the -lavcopts
amode=0 and the -channels 1 options. But when I play back the mpg
mplayer says:

AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x10), ratio: 16000->176400 (128.0 kbit)

Checking audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/16bit -> 44100Hz/2ch/16bit...
AF_pre: af format: 2 bps, 2 ch, 44100 hz, little endian signed int
AF_pre: 44100Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)

  I could be reading the wrong output from mplayer, but everything
concerning the audio is saying 2 ch which I'm assuming is 2 channel
stereo. Currently the audio channel in the VCD is taking about 120Mb in
stereo I should be able just about half this with a single mono channel
giving me 640Mb for the video where the quality drop is most apparent.

  This is not urgent, but would like to get some insight into this and
try to reduce the amount of flicker in the VCDs. Thanks for the help in
advance.

Ron