[MEncoder-users] Call for video encoding settings

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Jul 22 23:48:30 CEST 2005

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:56:16 +0200
jiho <jo.irisson at gmail.com> wrote:

> indeed I wasn't aware of it. then what is the difference with video
> filters such as hqdn3d and lavcopt nr?

They are entirely different.  Practically no similarities at all.

nr requires nominal CPU time.  It removes temporal noise without causing
worms when objects move.  It does not strip away fine details.  It does
not blur the picture.  It does not damage or blur colors. etc.

nr does cause some blockiness if you use values that are too high for
the video, but far less than hqdn3d in any event.  For values up to
about 600, it improves PSNR significantly.   nr=400 seems to be
the best all-around value for most content, both visually and PSNR.