[MEncoder-users] mencoder skipping frames.

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 06:34:32 CEST 2005

Regarding replying off list:
I didn't notice that the reply address to this list was the original
poster and not to the list. From now on, i will make sure to send to
the proper list address.

> The 30000/1001 and 24000/1001 numbers are correct. 29.97 and 23.976
> are incorrect rounded numbers that are NOT THE SAME. It's not a fatal
> error to use them as long as your output format supports those
> framerates, but they're not the correct framerates to match the
> source.

I didnt think avi, which was the original posters output format,
supported this framerate semantic. so far have only known that MPEG
transport streams supported this.

>> And, if i understand it right, the dvd is switching between 24fps soft
>> telecine and 30fps hard telecine. Technically the mpeg on a dvd is
>> always going to be 30fps, hard or soft telecine, or even true video.
>> Shouldnt, for a mixed-source input, mencoder handle it as 30fps and
>> then have a plugin remove the redundant frames, or fix the hard
>> telecine and output without interlacing?

> I don't follow what you're asking for..

I was referring to my method of properly inverse-telecine'ing a mixed
mode mpeg2, that switches from progressive 24000/1001 to hard-telecine
30000/1001 video. (which when the original source was 24fps 35mm FILM
this is a poor authoring job by the original studio)
Its given me good quality with very few if any incorrectly reassembled
frames on the output.