[MEncoder-users] mencoding jpeg images results in a wrong avi file

FX coudert at clipper.ens.fr
Wed Feb 23 14:38:17 CET 2005

Hi all,

I'm trying to use mencoder to make a small movie from a few JPEG images.
Following the doc, I use:

mencoder mf://\*.jpg -mf fps=3:type=jpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -oac
copy -o output.avi

I obtain an avi file, which seems to have a few problems:
  - the "file" utility identifies it as "RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 736 x
736, 3.00 fps, video: DivX 4", which is, as far as I am concerned, correct.
  - ImageMagick segfaults when opening it
  - mplayer can read it, but it is displayed in all-blue colors (see a
screenshot in http://www.eleves.ens.fr/home/coudert/Screenshot_mplayer.png)
instead of the black background of the original images
(http://www.eleves.ens.fr/home/coudert/confout001.jpg)
  - xine displays it with in all-green colors (but I couldn't make a screenshot)

All information can be found at http://www.eleves.ens.fr/home/coudert/:
  - output.avi is the avi produced by mencoder
  - mencoder-output is the standard output from mencoder
  - confout*.jpg are two examples of the original images

Thanks for your help,
FX

PS: please Cc me all answers as I'm no subscriber of this list