[MEncoder-users] saa7130 sound

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Thu Feb 10 13:31:47 CET 2005

Hi,

i think you accidently replied to an unrelated mail.
Please try to avoid that at all costs.

David Miller wrote ( On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 10:25:32PM -0600 ):
> I have a capture card with a 7130.  the card is video only.  Sound must
> be captured through the sound card.
> If I execute the following command mplayer displays a picture and sound
> comes through the sound card.
> mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:normid=4 -vo xv
> If I start my video source before starting mplayer, I will here the the
> sound through the sound card.
>
> I try recording with the following command:
> mencoder tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:normid=4 -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc  -o test.avi
> This records a file called test.avi
>
> Play it back with
> mplayer -vo xv test.avi
> I get video with no audio.  The video is not as good as the video viewed
> with the first command.

This is naturally the case.
See in the first command you just play the stuff back.
In the second command you reencode video to lacv mpeg4 with default
settings (which are pretty low, see manpage for details).
You also reencode audio to mp3 ( which is in fact also lower quality,
but it is typical that people not notice it very much, as the artifacts
in the video are much more visible ). But that is probably what you want
already as it is much smaller than uncompressed or losseles compressed
audio, so leave that as it is.
To get better results you need to tweak the encoding options and therefore
read up the documentation and single options in the manpage.

> I just don't know enough about video and all the terms used in the man
> page but I don't see anyplace to select the sound card as the audio
> source for the recording.

Look at the -tv section in the manpage, there is a adevice suboption maybe
that helps you to get what you want. I must add here that i don't capture
tv with mencoder.

  Alex (beastd)