[MEncoder-users] Using SI units in mencoder

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Feb 9 17:09:51 CET 2005

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 11:05:27AM -0500, asym wrote:
> There is one codified standard by an international standards body that
> defines what "1024 bytes" is.  That standard is IEC 60027-2 (IEC not IEEE,
> my mistake) and the nomenclature is "kibibyte".  Why do so many people

false. every single rfc (except maybe some silly new ones) that uses
the terms defines a kilobyte as 1024 bytes.

> resist this change, when all it requires is getting into an easy new habit,
> and will remove all the ambiguity that started this whole
> discussion?  Because they're stuck in their ways, resistant to change,
> lazy, elitist, full of conspiracy theories -- pick your cliche.

no, we don't like stupid standards bodies that have nothing to do with
us stepping in and telling us what to do.

look, this discussion is over. anything further is trolling and it
will just get people pissed off at you. if you want to help, submit a
documentation patch that clarifies the definitions of kB, etc.,
without the use of neologisms like kibibyte.

rich