[MEncoder-users] Re: Re: new doom9 codec comparission (submission)

Doom9 Feedback Hotline feedback123 at doom9.org
Sun Dec 18 21:57:44 CET 2005

>mplayer ~/mpc2/samsung_t20/home/michael/videos/310058.avi -lavdopts
>idct=14 -vo md5sum
>mplayer ~/mpc2/samsung_t20/home/michael/videos/310058.avi -vc xvid -vo
>md5sum
>310058.avi uses mpeg_quant, qpel and gmc

>md5s match so theres no difference between lavc and xvid decoders

For your viewing pleasure, 3 screenshots from the comparison source, one
taken with the xvid dshow filter, two with theffdshow dshow filter, one time
the decoder set to xvid and once to libavcodec. Blow it up and you can see
they are different.Needless to say that I initially spotted the difference
when watching the video.. those shots just prove my point to peoplewho do
not trust my eyes. Here's the link http://forum.doom9.org/sampleshots.zip

All shots taken with deblocking turned on all the way, and no deringing.
Note that even if Nic's deblocking code is activated in ffdshow, it will not
match the XviD DS filter because it has been rewritten from scratch.. I
think I first started using it in the second 2003 codec comparison.. prior
to that, I prefered to use Nic's filter for decoding XviD over the one that
shipped with XviD.

You may even use the code of xvidcore for decoding, the problem is that the
dshow filter doesn't use that code.. thus unless libavcodec incorporates the
code from the XviD DS Filter, including the deblocking from that filter, the
output is never going to look the same.

Cheers
Doom9