[MEncoder-users] new doom9 codec comparission (submission)

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Dec 15 08:43:15 CET 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:28:16PM -0800, Corey Hickey wrote:
> On Wed, December 14, 2005 23:02, Rich Felker wrote:
> > Can you get doom9 to clarify this, if you're not already clear on it?
> > IMO this could be the reason he doesn't think lavc is good, if he's
> > looking at single screenshots and zooming in real close. See the
> > discussion recently on the ffmpeg lists regarding the same bad quality
> > with xvid when decoding using lavc's default idct, or the discussions
> > of it on multimedia.cx.
>
> Sorry, I forgot to finish my last mail. Can you please provide a URL to the
> page on multimedia.cx and date/subject of the list dicussion? I'm having
> trouble finding either of them right now.

Fix to the xvid decoding "bug" (which is actually an xvid bug of
having an mmx idct implementation that does not match their C
implementation): Michael's commit on September 10.

Original thread subject: libavcodec: possible QPEL decoding bug.

The multimedia.cx thing is more theoretical, not about this particular
instance. Here's the url: http://guru.multimedia.cx/?p=9

Rich