[MEncoder-users] new doom9 codec comparission

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Thu Dec 8 13:57:20 CET 2005

Am Donnerstag, 8. Dezember 2005 08:07 schrieb Rich Felker:

> If there's ANY visible decrease in quality, do not use threads.

If the decrease in quality caused by threads=2 is small you can use other
optins to increase quality while retaining the same encoding speed.

> Simple as that.

It's not that simple ;-)

> It's stupid for an encoding benchmark anyway since no one has
> or uses multi-cpu machines for encoding,

Many people use multi-CPU machines or dual core or hyperthreading CPUs for
encoding. All of those benefit from threads>=2.

> since they're a waste of money, electricity, etc. etc. etc.

A dualcore *machine* generally does *not* use two times the electricity of
a singel-core machine but sometimes it is significantly faster.

> I don't want to see lavc getting
> chewed out for bad image quality because someone wanted to save a
> little time by using a dual-cpu system to encode at lower quality...
>
> If we want to make lavc look fast, why not do everything else that
> gets performance at the expense of quality too? Set mbd=0, disable all
> options like qpel, 4mv, ... etc..... :(

If you do not accept any decrease in quality compared to the optimum, why
not enable all quality increasing options and recommend a mencoder
commandline to doom9 which results in 1fps encoding speed?

-> compromise between speed and quality

Regards,
  Matthias