[MEncoder-users] Error encoding to ljpeg

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Dec 6 23:48:22 CET 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 08:46:33PM +0100, salsaman wrote:
> Hi,
> I have discovered a nasty bug with encoding to ljpeg. This is with version:
>
> MEncoder 1.0pre7-3.4.1 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Intel  (Family: 8, Stepping: 1)
> Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
> CPUflags: Type: 8 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
> Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2
>

> Using sample jpegs which were produced by same version mplayer, and the
> commandline:
>
> mencoder -mf h=480:w=640:type=jpg -o "tmpvid" -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=ljpeg -noskip -ofps 25.000 mf://*.jpg -frames 10

You need to add a -lavcopts format=[some rgb format] for ljpeg to
work. However this command line is pointless. If your files are jpeg
already, converting them to ljpeg will just make them BIGGER. Instead,
use -ovc copy to just copy the jpeg files into the output file as
mjpeg frames. This should work as long as they were created with just
normal baseline jpeg settings, nothing odd/special.

Rich