[MEncoder-users] new doom9 codec comparission

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat Dec 3 22:56:15 CET 2005

Matthias Wieser wrote:
>>For instance, the encodes I did when I had a CRT now look terrible on
>>my TFT :-(
>

> Probably because your TFT and your CRT have differing gamma values. Maybe
> you can adjust them to a gamma value of 2.2.

Also, I have a hypothesis that since LCD displays are grids of square
pixels, they show horizontal and vertical lines very sharply, making
blocking artifacts stand out more.

> If used carefully border_mask, scplx_mask, dark_mask and lumi_mask can
> improve visual quality. Keep in mind, that the other competitors use
> those 'psychosensory' settings even more (Nero, ms, divx6,
> realvideo,...).

I'm hesitant to use these, but I'll take it into consideration and try a
test with fairly conservative values for lumi_mask and dark_mask. In a
side-by-side comparison with a non-masked encode, the loss of contrast
is definitely noticeable and detracts from overall impression of quality.

I don't want to use any complexity masking because, from what I can tell
by reading the previous Doom9 comparisons, accurately rendering complex
scenes is a major criterion.

Thanks,
Corey