[MEncoder-users] How to determine quantizer for first pass of snow?

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat Dec 3 09:11:50 CET 2005

I'm starting to test snow encoding to find good parameters for the Doom9
codec comparison. Currently, vbitrate doesn't work on the first pass.
DOCS/tech/snow.txt says:

   Don't use it for 1st pass as CBR isn't implemented yet, use vqscale
   instead, and set it to a quantizer near the target average quant
   of the final encode.

Does anyone know a rough equation to relate average bitrate to average
quantizer when given resolution and fps?

If not, then I'll just keep using dead reckoning and binary search (and
maybe make a graph if I get fancy).

-Corey