[MEncoder-users] new doom9 codec comparission

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Dec 2 21:07:36 CET 2005

Rich Felker wrote:
>>For me, xv, x11, png, and jpeg all looked the same.
>>
>>Doom9 told me that it was probably due to the windows programs
>>displaying the video more brightly, and, as long as the encoded video
>>has the same brightness as the original, I shouldn't worry about it.
>

> It's due to -vo jpeg generating invalid jpeg (assuming jpeg yuv scale
> is same as mpeg yuv scale, which it's not).

Are you sure? You may be right, but I don't think it's having any effect
here. -vo jpeg, png, xv, and x11 all look the same. Compare these two:

http://fatooh.org/files/doom9tmp/dark.png
http://fatooh.org/files/doom9tmp/dark.jpg

Or, download the source. The files above are from frame 18 of this clip:
http://fatooh.org/files/doom9tmp/matrix-clip.vob

-Corey