[MEncoder-users] Encoding Pal DVD to AVI or SVCD for NTSC

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Fri Dec 2 20:20:51 CET 2005

Rich Felker wrote:

> > Most modern TV/DVD player combinations support both PAL and NTSC, so I
> > assumed the only problem the original poster is having is with a
> > region-locked player; one that would still play either PAL/NTSC as
> > long as it wasn't set to another region.
>
> Not sure what you mean by most modern. I've never seen a TV/DVD player
> in the US that supports PAL, except for special international models
> used in libraries/research. LCD/plasma/whatever crap should easily
> support PAL, yes, but a standard non-multisync CRT (with superior
> picture) is only going to support one video standard.

Well, I just went kicking and screaming into the 21st century last
week, with my first LCD TV... and it looks so much better than any
CRT I have ever seen that I want to cry about all the stuff I am
going to have to rewatch now ;^) And, hell, it'll sync on anything...
it's scary. Also, what with almost everthing that I get being 16:9
now, wow, to see it filling that nice big screen... what was I
thinking putting up with that old room-heating CRT?!