[MEncoder-users] Encoding Pal DVD to AVI or SVCD for NTSC

n0dalus n0dalus at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 20:17:20 CET 2005

On 12/3/05, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 02:48:38PM +1030, n0dalus wrote:
> >
> > Most modern TV/DVD player combinations support both PAL and NTSC, so I
> > assumed the only problem the original poster is having is with a
> > region-locked player; one that would still play either PAL/NTSC as
> > long as it wasn't set to another region.
>
> Not sure what you mean by most modern. I've never seen a TV/DVD player
> in the US that supports PAL, except for special international models
> used in libraries/research. LCD/plasma/whatever crap should easily
> support PAL, yes, but a standard non-multisync CRT (with superior
> picture) is only going to support one video standard.
>
> Rich

I guess it must depend where you live. In Australia, almost all the
TVs made in the last 8 or so years that I've seen support both PAL and
NTSC. Same goes for DVD players. We don't exactly have much of a local
electronics industry, so almost all these TVs are imported from
countries like Japan/Korea. I just assumed there would be a similar
situation in other countries. Maybe for places like the USA, there is
a strong enough local electronics industry, combined with a good old
fashioned reluctance to switch to better standards :).

n0dalus.