[MEncoder-users] Encoding Pal DVD to AVI or SVCD for NTSC

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Thu Dec 1 19:46:42 CET 2005

n0dalus wrote:
> On 12/2/05, Trevor Nightingale <Trevor.Nightingale at sas.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My problem is that I have received a DVD from the UK (Region 2) which is a DVD+RW disc. My DVD players at home cannot play Region 2 (and there is no hack), my DVD ROM drive on my computer only plays DVD-R discs. My machine at work can play the disc,however I cannot sit a work watching rugby :-)
> >

> Have you tried using a program like DVD Decrpyter to just strip the
> Region encoding? Then you can just burn the resultant iso to a new
> DVD.

Here is a trivial C program for de-regionalizing a ripped dvd.
Make the new iso with "mkisofs -dvd-video -o new-dvd.iso blah".

 /* compile me:                        */
 /*   gcc -o region-zero region-zero.c */
 /* set my perms:                      */
 /*   chmod 0755 region-zero           */
 /* move me to someplace useful:       */
 /*   mv region-zero /usr/local/bin    */
 /* run me in directory VIDEO_TS       */

 main() {
    FILE * fd;
    fd = fopen("VIDEO_TS.IFO","r+");
    fseek(fd,0x23,SEEK_SET); /* hex position 0x23 is the region code byte */
    putc(0x0,fd);            /* zero all the region code bits */
 }