[MEncoder-users] Need some hints for my tv recording concept

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Aug 31 17:20:25 CEST 2005

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:57:11 +0200
Gerhard Brauer <gerhard.brauer at web.de> wrote:

> codec (mjpec i think is good codec for real time).

mpeg2video or mpeg4 with keyint=1 is better quality and faster.

>  vcodec=mjpeg:mbd=1:autoaspect:abitrate=128:acodec=ac3:mv0:nr=10"

I'm not sure why you'd use nr=10.  I would recomend nr=400

> but on pc (full screen scaling) there are edges, flicker,...

I didn't see any deinterlacers in your options.  You really should be
deinterlacing during capture, unless you're really sure you don't want
deinterlacing for some reason.

> -vf pp=de,scale=704:544,denoise3d -oac copy

You really shouldn't do postprocessing before encoding.  Upscaling is
also not a good idea unless you have a good reason for it.

> -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=1:aspect=4/3 -sws 1

You should use mbd=2 instead of mbd=1.  autoaspect instead of
aspect=4/3, and you should really add trell and do 2-pass encoding.
(see the docs)

> -ffourcc divx

-fourcc XVID is better than DIVX or DX50 (and I don't think lower-case
divx is actually valid)

> vcodec=mjpeg:mbd=1:aspect=4/3:abitrate=128:acodec=ac3:mv0:nr=10"
> ##

I would recomend mp2 rather than ac3.  It's fast, editable, and a good
option if you're going to convert to lower-bitrate MP3 later.

> TVOPT=":mjpeg:decimation=1:quality=80:width=544:height=408"

Very very bad.  You CAN'T just use any arbitrary height you want.  It's
interlaced, so you have to either capture at full height, or half
height.  You can use "-vf scale=x:y" if you want a different height in
your output.