[MEncoder-users] Patent free codec

Raphael mencoder at lesshaste.plus.com
Mon Aug 22 17:10:15 CEST 2005

RC wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:20:08 +0200
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org> wrote:
>

>> That's because most of the algorithms in video encoding
>> are patented and you can't develop a similar codec without
>> using them. And Theora is similar to MPEG-4.
>>

> Same old flamewar...
> Theora guys say VP3 is free.
>
> MPlayer guys say it's not.
>
> VP3 guys mention that On2 hasn't ever been sued.  Then demand proof
> (patent numbers) that Theora infringes on.
>
> MPlayer guys don't have any patent numbers to list, and the thread dies
> down.
>
> MPlayer guys keep on saying it's patented.
>
> Theora guys keep on saying it's not.
>

> Meanwhile Theora is in perpetual alpha after 4+ years of development,
> despite starting from a mature codec (VP3).  By the time it's a stable
> release, all the patents on MPEG-4 will have expired, anyhow.

:)

But the thing is that there isn't actually any disagreement as far as I
can tell.

Theora people say that the company that held the patents has given them
rights to use them for free.

Mplayer people say that in general in the US you will never truely know
if you are safe from being sued due to all the things they describe and
most people agree with.  These opinions are not in conflict with each
other. It's a bit like my saying I am safe as I am wearing my seatbelt
and you saying but what if a truck drives over my car.  Just different
angles on the same story. Both right when considered in their own
context. The conflict, if one exists, is just of vocabulary ("I use the
word safe this way." "I use it this way") which is not substantive.

My 0.33 cents worth.

Raphael