[MEncoder-users] Free of patents codec

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Aug 22 17:07:52 CEST 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 10:41:53AM +0100, Raphael wrote:

> >[...]

Fix your mailer. Deleting all these blank >>>> lines is getting old..
It triples the number of blank reply lines every time you reply..

> >>I am already regretting saying this but... who are the third parties in
> >>the case of VP3? Are these unnamed theoretical third parties or some
> >>specific group that On2 is in deniable about?  Also, I am not sure a
> >
> >it is not our job to check theora against patents,
>
> Well, you did make a quite a strong claim about patents and theora so it
> is reasonable to ask for the basis of the claim.

Michael is not me. I made the strong claim. Just look at any list of
the MPEG1/2 patents. Almost all of them apply to VP3/Theora too.

> >even though i think
> >the infamous vlc-rle coding patent with which jpeg was attacked might cover
> >theora too ...
> >
> Interesting.  That patent runs out in October 2006 I believe but of
> course there may be others.

Why not look and see?

> >and most important i dont claim that theora is covered by third party
> >patents i just claim its likely covered
>
> Right. Unnamed theoretical third parties.

You can look them up through MPEG-LA. I don't care about the names.
They're all hostile.

> P.S. Can you buy patent infringement insurance yet?

No, but apparently you could buy linux "copyright infringement
insurance" (re: SCO) from Redhat... :(

Rich