[MEncoder-users] a-v synchronization problems of some NTSC DVDs with -oac copy

David Soukal david.soukal at binghamton.edu
Wed Apr 27 00:31:51 CEST 2005

RC wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:06:36 -0400
> David Soukal <david.soukal at binghamton.edu> wrote:
>

>>there's slight delay in the sound stream playback.
>

> I've heard of xvid and mencoder having that problem.  Can you try with
> lavc and see if you still have sync issues?
>

>>Is there any other library not packed with MPlayer
>>that might cause these problems?
>

> Perhaps (external) liba52 if not Xvid?
>
> If this is a new problem, you can try older versions of mencoder and
> see if it works better.

I just tried an older version (1.0_pre6-r4) and the problem is still
there. I'll try libavcodec tonight..

Anyway, I noticed another thing. The movie that I just made with
1.0_pre6-r4 seems to be quite in sync until about 70 minutes. I found
out by playing the original DVD that MPlayer will report incorrect time
at about 60 minutes from the beginning of the movie. After 1:0:0 the
time begins from zero. I assume it must be because another VOB file was
being read. However it had no impact on sync.

Could this have influenced MEncoder?

I must be sounding desperate. But for no apparent reason, I'm unable to
compress any more movies and it's getting frustrating :)

If there's anything I could do to help localize the problem, let me know.

Anyway, I'll try libav and will let you know.

David