[MEncoder-users] High quality encoding of anime

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Apr 19 17:55:35 CEST 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 06:21:00AM -0700, Jean Hoderd wrote:

> > Anime is never interlaced, always telecined. If your PAL discs show
> > combing, they might have been framerate-converted from NTSC rather
> > than remastered, meaning basically they suck. Just download your
> > "backups" instead.
> >

> I used the -vf pp=lb option because without it the video appears
> "combed" in high-motion scenes.  Since this is a deinterlace filter,

This is a huge mistake.

> I assumed that the original video was interlaced.  (It looks fine
> after the -vf pp=lb)

No it does not. 2 out of every 5 frames will come out as a blur
between two different pictures.

> As for downloading it, it would be a waste of time because I have
> the originals.

No you don't. You have bad PAL conversions of the originals. The
copies you will download will be far better than anything you can ever
make yourself from the PAL DVDs.

> I just want to back them up into DVD+R, plus convert
> them into MPEG-4 AVI files which my hardware player (a KiSS DP1000)
> can read.  And yes, on a daily basis I would rather have the backups
> lying around than the originals: do you have any idea how kids handle
> DVDs?  Scary...

They use the masters in the original format, NTSC. Not bad PAL
conversions of them.

> Any further comments on the lavc or XviD options?

These are really irrelevant at this point. You have much more
fundamental issues you need to overcome with the interlacing/PAL
format.

Rich