[MEncoder-users] High quality encoding of anime

Jean Hoderd jhoderd at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 15:00:21 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I am backing up part of my anime collection, and therefore
I am looking for good quality settings.  The video bitrate
available after the audio coding is around 1720 kbps, and
I was thinking of using a 640x480 resolution based on the
recommendations of the calcbpp.pl script.
(The video is PAL, interlaced, 25fps, and 4/3 aspect ratio).

I have a *very* fast PC which is always on, so encoding time
is not an issue.

I have read plenty of forums and threads on this mailing list
concerning best quality options for lavc and XviD, but sometimes
too much information can confuse rather than enlighten, if you
know what I mean...

Anyway, my questions are very direct:

- lavc or XviD for anime at high bitrates?
- for lavc, is qprd safe to use?
- what parameters to use for hqdn3d filter?
- what is the current consensus about B-frames?

Here are the options I currently use for the second-pass:
(I am using two-pass encoding, obviously)

Pre-processing:

  -zoom -sws 9 -vf pp=lb,crop=688:560:18:8,hqdn3d=2:1:2,scale=640:480

For lavc:

  vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1720:vpass=2:
  vmax_b_frames=2:vb_strategy=1:
  vme=4:preme=2:predia=4:dia=4:last_pred=3:
  precmp=10:cmp=10:subcmp=10:mbcmp=10:
  mbd=2:v4mv:cbp:mv0:qprd:trell:qns=3

For XviD:

  bitrate=1720:pass=2:
  packed:max_bframes=2:
  vhq=4:me_quality=6:
  quant_type=h263:
  cartoon:trellis:
  chroma_me:chroma_opt

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
My backups will be eternally grateful...

Cheers,
Jean