[MEncoder-users] mencoder losing bits?

Jason Bodnar jason at shakabuku.org
Mon Apr 18 06:39:08 CEST 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:57:52 -0700, Corey Hickey wrote
> You're only using 1-pass encoding. With only one pass, mencoder's
> bitrate use is only an estimate based on vbitrate and what it thinks
> it can use. If you use two or more passes (see the vpass= parameter)
> mencoder knows how many bits to allocate to each frame in order to meet
> the target vbitrate.

Thank you. That seems to have worked.

> In general, you should always use more than one pass so that
> mencoder is able to allocate bits more accurately.
>
> By the way, why are you using vcodec=msmpeg4v2 instead of mpeg4?
> vcodec=mpeg4 is better, unless you have some constraints with regard
> to the playback software.

I'm building a test suite for our software so I have to encode a single clip
at a number of resolutions, bitrates and formats, one of which is msmpeg4v2.

Thanks again,

Jason

--
Jason Bodnar
jason at shakabuku.org
http://www.shakabuku.org

"You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make
your blood boil who is standing center stage advocating at the top of
his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of
yours." -- President Andrew Shephard, "The American President"