[MEncoder-users] inverse telecine with 60 fps progressive video

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Apr 8 08:17:39 CEST 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 10:55:27PM -0800, Scott W. Larson wrote:
> But doesn't interlacing pairs of frames together effectively
> eliminate every other frame anyway?

No, most definitely not. You have the exact same amount of data as you
started with, just organized differently. In particular it's organized
the way it needs to be for any of the inverse telecine filters to work.

> Won't tinterlace combine two different frames at the end of the
> three-frame sequence making an ugly frame?

Yes, that's the whole point. But it's not an "ugly frame", it's a pair
of fields. Inverse telecine operates on fields.

> I don't see how merging frames together into distorted frames will
> help the inverse telecine filter know what to do but I'll see if it
> helps.

Not understanding how doing the right thing works isn't an excuse for
doing the wrong thing. :)

Rich