[MEncoder-users] mpeg1video

Torsten Römer troemer at swipnet.se
Mon Nov 15 22:32:08 CET 2004

Transcode can encode from and to many audio and video formats. Here
comes an example commandline:

transcode -i input.avi -V -R 3 -w 2 --video_max_bitrate 2400
--export_asr 2 -F '0,-K tmpgenc' -y mpeg2enc,null -o output

A small breakdown of the options:

-V: use YV12/I420 as internal video layout/colour space
-R 3: VBR (0 for CBR)
-w 2: quantizer range (if VBR, if CBR this option takes the bitrate)
--export_asr 2: aspect ratio 4:3
-F: options passed to mpeg2enc
     0: mpeg profile generic MPEG1 (option -f)
     -K tmpgenc (use tmpgenc's quantisation tables)
-y: export format: mpeg2enc for video, no audio
-o: basename for output file(s)

I only "tested" this commandline briefly, at least mplayer plays it
without complaining. The quality is quite OK.

Hope this helps :-)

Torsten