[MEncoder-users] FreeBSD + bt878 (bsdbt848) Resolution (and a bug or two)

Allen mencoder at rfnj.org
Sun Dec 26 12:45:30 CET 2004

Just curious.  I've done something odd here, and after a little bit of
fighting, have gotten it working.

System details related are:
  OS : FreeBSD 4-STABLE (RELENG_4 as of yesterday)
   mplayer-0.99.5_5 (FreeBSD port)
   Card : Hauppauge WinTV+FM PCI.  (BT878)

My question is this -- Is there any way, when using the "norm=NTSC" option
to change the -source- resolution?  I expect the answer is no, since
resolution is intimately tied to the NTSC standard.

If that is indeed the case, I could use some help getting the mencoder
settings right in the "-tv" section.  It seems if I neglect the "norm=NTSC"
part, that no matter what I specify for FPS, Height, Width, or whatever
else, it always captures at 1FPS.. apparently I'm missing some options that
I need to get this working properly..

For example:

mencoder \
-tv driver=bsdbt848:device=/dev/bktr0:input=5:norm=NTSC \
-o test.avi \
-ovc lavc \
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1200 \
tv://

works properly exactly as expected, however..

mencoder \
-tv driver=bsdbt848:device=/dev/bktr0:input=5:fps=29.97:width=640:height=480 \
-o test.avi \
-ovc lavc \
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1200 \
tv://

Does not and results in the dreaded "1fps" capture rate.

I'm trying to capture the tv-out from another computer (svideo -> svideo),
and I should be able to get a bit over 640x480 using this direct
connection.  I would think 800x600 at least, if not 1024x768 (if I'm
lucky).  Any help would be appreciated.

-allen