[MEncoder-users] high quality avi; correct syntax

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Dec 10 18:12:30 CET 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 05:24:58PM -0600, Adam Hemphill wrote:
> You get fairly good quality that way, however, if you have the disc
> space and your editing software supports it you may want to do
> mencoder -oac pcm instead of mp3lame since PCM is higher quality
> than mp3. Also, the distortion you are talking about is probably
> interlacing in the video. There is more info about that in the docs,
> I can't give much more of an explanation than that adding -vf pp=fd
> works for me when deinterlacing. Note that deinterlacing reduces the
> quality of the video in some ways. I can't really give much more of
> an explanation. Hope that helped.

a better explanation: it halves the quality, or in the case of broken
deinterlacers like fd, worse. if you have interlaced content, the only
sane things to do are keep it interlaced, deinterlace to 50/60 fps
(vf_tfields), or just throw away one field entirely (vf_field) rather
than blending them together in a broken way...

rich