[Libav-user] Using DNxHD decoder in commercial software

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Jan 11 12:47:41 CET 2016

Info || Non-Lethal Applications <info at ...> writes:

> I have a question about the DNxHD/VC-3 decoder included
> in libavcodec. I’d like to use it in a commercial product
> and I’m not sure if this is allowed.

What makes you think that we distribute software that we
don't want you to use?
Or is this not your question? In this case, why are you
asking here?

> It was my understanding that the VC-3 codec is open
> source so I thought I could use it.

libavcodec is open source software distributed under the
terms of the LGPL: Usage is not limited (except for "no
warranty") but distribution is only allowed under the
terms of the LGPL.

> It appears that I’m not allowed to use the AVID DNxHD
> logo anywhere for marketing purposes however.

I don't think this can be answered on this mailing list.

Carl Eugen