[Libav-user] Replacement for release_buffer

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 28 00:29:26 CET 2014

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 00:16:03 +0100
Info || Non-Lethal Applications <info at non-lethal-applications.com>
wrote:

> I have seen this update but it also still uses both a custom get_buffer (the tut was updated to use get_buffer2) and a custom release_buffer.

It combines get_buffer2 with release_buffer, which is complete
non-sense. Now I don't want to talk badly about them, but I wouldn't
try to learn from a tutorial from people who don't know what they're
doing. The best way to guess how ffmpeg is supposed to work is probably
still looking at ffplay.c.

> My custom get_buffer is called but the release_buffer is not. Thus, I'm allocating memory I can't free (or at least I wouldn't know where the best place would be).

get_buffer is legacy, and get_buffer2 is not used with release_buffer.

> Stephen Dranger wrote that there are certain circumstances where the pts is not correct and thus he introduced this get/release buffer workaround to always retrieve a correct pts.
>
> Can anyone tell me if this is still required? I'd just like to be sure to always get the correct pts.

No.