[Libav-user] Request for code: video output from raw frame data

Philip Schneider pjschneider at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 29 06:10:22 CEST 2014

Greetings -

Apologies for being “that guy”, but my boss-man just threw a “request” at me. I’ve used command-line ffmpeg functionality, but not the C/C++ API...

App has sequence of frame data in memory, 8 bits/channel stuffed into a contiguous chunk of 32-bit unsigned ints. He wants some flavor of video output file from this…he mentioned QuickTime, but probably some other popular format/container might be OK (app’s customers are on Mac or Windows).

This has gotta be a “Hello, world” sort of thing in terms of ffmpeg’s wide functionality, but I don’t have the bandwidth right now to sift through much (any?) documentation/examples (yep, that pegged this week… :-( )

Can some kind soul throw me the (couple?) dozen lines that will get me started, or a pointer to some easily-digestible web page with an example I can transmogrify?

I’ll try to ask a more interesting question next time, I swear… :-)