[Libav-user] Different decoded frame number from ffmpeg commend line and the example demuxing

Liang Zhang liazhang2000 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 19:48:16 CEST 2013

Hello,

I'm learning how to use libav to decode the video data into YUV. I try to
use ffmpeg commend line and also use the example program "demuxing" which
is provided in ffmpeg documentation. It surprised me that both resulted in
different frame number.

I use the following ffmpeg commend line

ffmpeg -y -i sample.mp4 -an -r 24 -pix_fmt rgb24 -vcodec tiff tif/%06d.tif

to decode one video data file and get, e.g., 1460 frames.

Then, I used the example program "demuxing"

demuxing  sample.mp4  out_video out_audio

to decode the same file and I got 1821 frames.

Can someone help me explain why the frame number is different with these
two methods?

FYI, I run the program in Ubuntu operating system.

Thanks,

liang