[Libav-user] illegal short term buffer state detected

David R Robison drrobison at openroadsconsulting.com
Wed Sep 12 19:39:46 CEST 2012

Is this a hard limit or is there a way to increase it? David

David R Robison
Open Roads Consulting, Inc.
103 Watson Road, Chesapeake, VA 23320
phone: (757) 546-3401
e-mail: drrobison at openroadsconsulting.com
web: http://openroadsconsulting.com
blog: http://therobe.blogspot.com
book: http://www.xulonpress.com/bookstore/bookdetail.php?PB_ISBN=9781597816526

On 9/12/2012 12:17 PM, Camera Man wrote:
> On 09/12/2012 11:36 AM, David R Robison wrote:
>> I am trying to decode an h.264 stream and seeing a lot of "illegal short
>> term buffer state detected." errors. The video is not playing smoothly
>> and I am wondering if these errors could cause a problem. Can anyone
>> tell me what causes these errors? It is possible that there is a problem
>> with the stream being created by the h.264 camera but I will need to be
>> able to explain what the problem is (if there is one) to the camera
>> manufacturer. Thanks, David
> If this is UDP, it's a buffering problem - ffmpeg has a socket buffer
> limit of 64KB; an 1280x720  I-frame is often 200K-300K, so some
> packets get lost.
>
> Try to switch to TCP; if the problem disappears, that's your problem.

This email communication (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged material intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email immediately.