[Libav-user] Seeking and Frame Timestamps

Michael Bradshaw mbradshaw at sorensonmedia.com
Fri Mar 30 21:39:01 CEST 2012

I have a couple questions regarding seeking and timestamps.

1) If seeking in a video is a possible,
will avformat_seek_file(formatContext, -1, 0, timestamp, timestamp, 0) ever
fail? If this does fail and seeking is still possible, what can be done to
seek?
2) If I call avformat_seek_file(formatContext, -1, 0, timestamp, timestamp,
0) and it succeeds, how can I know the timestamp of the frame I'm currently
on now? I've tried decoding the frame and using
frame->best_effort_timestamp, but it's set to AV_NOPTS_VALUE. How can I
know how close/far I am from my desired timestamp in this case?

I think that covers everything. If I could get some help with this I'd
really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Michael