[Libav-user] About using FFmpeg libraries

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Nov 3 22:09:52 CET 2011

 <artem at ...> writes:

> My name is Artem, I present AIMP Project.
> AIMP is free audio player for Microsoft Windows with closed sources.
>
> We would like to use binaries of FFmpeg libraries in our application as
> additional decoders set. Can we use binaries of FFmpeg in closed-source
> project

This may be possible.

> (without any modifications of source code)?

This does not make any difference at all.

> Under what conditions?
> Can we distribute FFmpeg binaries in one package with our program?

Please read (and understand) the LGPL to get all information you need about the
obligations when distributing binaries of LGPL'd software.
Among them are:
Do not use GPL-code (it does not like closed-source projects)
Inform your users that your software uses code from FFmpeg
Show the LGPL to your users
Do not claim that FFmpeg belongs to you - we have had enough of that;-)
Share the exact source code (including some build instructions) of FFmpeg that
you used. This has to be done in a way that allows your users to replace the
binary of FFmpeg that comes with your software with a self-compiled version (for
example by changing code in the FFmpeg sources that you provide).

> Of course, we provide information about using libdca in about box of the
> program and EULA.

libdca != FFmpeg

Carl Eugen