[FFmpeg-user] What is 'yuv420p(tv, smpte170m, progressive)'?

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue May 19 03:02:53 EEST 2020

On 05/18/2020 07:04 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Am Di., 19. Mai 2020 um 00:29 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
> <markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:
>>
>> ... yuv420p(tv, progressive) ... 29.97 fps ...
>> ... yuv420p(tv, smpte170m, top first) ... 29.97 fps ...
>> ... yuv420p(tv, smpte170m, progressive) ... 29.97 fps ...
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=SMPTE+170M
> You did a lot to make me believe that you know much
> better what this is than anybody else on this mailing list...

I have nothing but questions. The first one is: What do you mean? I don't understand your responses,
Carl Eugen, but I assume they are due to English being a second language. If it's convenient,
respond in German. I'll translate it.

I know what SMPTE 170M is.

>> The top one appears to be soft telecined.
>> The middle on appears to be hard telecined.
>> What's the bottom one?
>
> Why your question is - as usually - far from understandable

I'm sorry, Carl Eugen. Let me rephrase it. What does 'yuv420p(tv, smpte170m, progressive)' indicate?

> I'd say it is safe to assume the third one is not hard telecined.
>
> Carl Eugen

You know that I'm a retired hardware designer -- digital hardware, not analog TV. But I'm not an
ffmpeg programmer. I have to guess what ffmpeg does because I can't seem to get clear cut answers
here. I seem to get only mystery answers.