[FFmpeg-user] Equivalent of "-f rawvideo" but for audio?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri Jun 28 11:39:00 EEST 2019

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 23:36:12 +0100, Kieran O Leary wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2019, 23:32 Moritz Barsnick, <barsnick at gmx.net> wrote:
> > $ ffmpeg -i input -map 0:a -c:a copy -f hash -
> > or
> > $ ffmpeg -i input -map 0:a -c:a copy -hash md5 -f hash -
> > if you prefer MD5
>
> Out of curiosity,what is the difference between this and -f md5 -

Nothing. (I did mention the word "alias" in my text. ;-))
As the docs say:
  21.18 md5

  MD5 testing format.

  This is a variant of the hash muxer. Unlike that muxer, it defaults to using the MD5 hash function.

I was one of those who converted the "md5" muxer to a more generic
"hash" muxer with various hashing algorithms, defaulting to a more
modern algorithm (SHA256). The "md5" muxer was retained as an alias for
backward compatibility.

(Analogously for "framehash" and "framemd5".)

Cheers,
Moritz