[FFmpeg-user] "-vf mp=softpulldown" drops all frames

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Feb 22 22:37:49 CET 2014

Phil Rhodes <phil_rhodes <at> rocketmail.com> writes:

> > Please elaborate
>
> Creating a build environment that is capable of
> compiling ffmpeg is highly nontrivial, and it's
> unreasonable to expect users to configure one in
> order to run a test.

What has a build environment and compilation to
do with testing a current version of FFmpeg?

> Firstly, the operating system used by 98.28% of
> desktop computers (according to Wikipedia, as of January
> 2014) is not the one typically used for compiling ffmpeg.

Why do you think so?

> To overcome this, a user must generally install an
> entirely new operating system, which is already an
> enormous imposition to place on someone who simply
> wishes to assist the project by reporting a bug.

I would strongly recommend against installing another
OS to compile FFmpeg.

> Secondly, the user must create a build environment
> capable of compiling not only ffmpeg, but also the large
> number of complex libraries required to make it useful.

This is another lie - not completely unexpected from
you but still not welcome.

Please stop spreading FUD on this mailing list and
please try to read my emails before answering, I
did neither mention nor mean compiling FFmpeg (which
is trivial on all operating systems because it has
nearly no dependencies.)