[FFmpeg-user] Any way to make this 2GB file any smaller?

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 15 11:39:37 CET 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Gilles <codecomplete at free.fr> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 09:14:48 +0000 (UTC), Carl Eugen Hoyos
> <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
>>Several ideas come to mind:
>>
>>ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -s 180x144 out.avi
>>ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -qscale 30 out.avi
>>ffmpeg -i input -c copy -t 10 out.avi
>
> Thanks for the tips. Is AVI a more efficient container than MP4?

I think you missed the joke - you asked to make the file "smaller",
Carl gave you three command lines that do exactly that, however the
first one will make the video tiny, the second will make the video
awful quality, and the third will trim the movie to just 10 seconds
long.

All of them "make the file smaller", but probably not how you want.
Carl wanted you to explain what it is you want as a result of the
conversion.

Cheers

Tom